This is a new recipe I was very excited to make! I love any dessert with lemon flavor. The original recipe didn't have the lemon zest and the lemon glaze, but I think it is so delicious with them! Also, I decreased the sugar to 2 1/2 cups and it was definitely sweet enough. And to be on the safe side, I did add a tsp of baking powder. The end result was an extremely moist, absolutely delicious lemon cake!
- 1 1/2 cups butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs, at room temperature
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- zest of one lemon
- 1cup lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage (e.g. 7UP, Sprite, Sierra Mist, etc)
- Cream together butter and sugar for 20 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition. Add lemon extract, vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- In separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and soft drink to the egg/sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Do not overbeat!
- Pour into a well-greased and floured 12 cup bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 60 to 75 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes before taking out of the pan.
(Instead of baking my cake in a bundt pan, I made 24 cupcakes and 1 regular size bread loaf pan out of this recipe- I always change things around :))
You can also make a glaze to drizzle over the cake:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsps milk or for more lemony flavor,
2 tbsps lemon juice or 7UP
Cake recipe adapted from: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/seven-up-cake-ii/detail.asp