Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mini carrot cupcakes

Hot off the "press", or the "oven" in my case: a new- and might i add fabulous- recipe for carrot cake!

2 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/4 tsps baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tsps cinnamon
3 large eggs
2 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups white sugar
8 oz crushed pineapple with the juice
1-1/2 cups shredded coconut

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line mini muffins pans with paper liners.

2. Mix flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon together.

3. Beat oil, sugar and eggs WELL

4. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture

5. Fold in pineapple, carrots, coconut and walnuts (if using)

6. Bake at 350 F for about 14-15 minutes

This recipe makes approximately 75-80 mini cupcakes, or 24-30 regular cupcakes (bake 18-20 minutes), or a two-layer 9-inch round cake (bake 25-30 minutes), or a 9x13-inch sheet cake (bake 50- 60 minutes).

Thanks to my husband's co-worker, Don Cottrell, for the terrific recipe! What a hit it was today when I took the minis to my garden club meeting!


I frosted my cupcakes with a delicious cream cheese frosting:

Ingredients

1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 tsps vanilla extract

In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese on medium-high until creamy.  Gradually add powdered sugar and beat to incorporate. Add vanilla and blend. Frost to your heart's desire! :)

This frosting can be made with a lot less sugar but for my purposes, I need it stiffer in order to pipe it, so the 4 cups make just the right consistency- and I haven't had anybody complain about it being too sweet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print recipe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...