Thursday, February 7, 2013

Healthy and Delicious Granola

A co-worker of mine brought some yummy granola to work a couple of weeks ago and I knew right away I had to make it for my family! It was delicious and oh so healthy and wholesome! She graciously shared not only the granola with me but also her recipe and I have already made it twice in the last two weeks! The first batch was literally gone in a few days! What I love about making my own granola is that I know exactly what goes into it and I can adjust the sweetness to my liking. So many of the granola mixes and granola bars out on the market are way too sweet or full of "fillers" I would not necessarily want to feed my family with. So, this recipe fits all my requirements for good granola. And you can improvise to your heart's content- according to your mood that day, or what you have in the pantry, or what your family "puts an order for". :)The first time I made the granola, I followed the recipe pretty closely. The second time, I used a tropical dried fruit mix- with dried papaya, pineapple, etc and it was awesome. You could add coconut flakes too for another touch of the tropics... Any way your fancy takes you, you will be glad you made this granola. I promise.

Ingredients: 

3 cups rolled oats
3 cups quick oats
1/4 cup psyllium (optional- I don't use it)
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup flax seeds (or flax meal)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup rice crispies (optional- I don't use them)
1 cup oat bran
1/2 cup or more chopped almonds
1/2 cup or more chopped walnuts or pecans or any other nuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried apricots or any other dried fruit such as cherries, blueberries, dates, etc
1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
3/4 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
1 cup honey

Directions: 

Mix oats, seeds, nuts and dried fruit in a large bowl.

In a large glass measuring cup or bowl microwave the honey and oil for 30 to 60 seconds until just warm. With fork or whisk, blend until thick. Pour over dry oats, seeds, nuts and dried fruit. With rubber spatula mix thoroughly until evenly distributed.

Spray a large cookie sheet or two 9x13 inch baking pans. Pat mixture into pans- about 1 inch thick- and bake at 325 F for about 35-40 minutes, stirring once or twice, until tops are golden brown.

Let cool completely. Store in jars. Enjoy!


The granola mix, right out of the oven: 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Print recipe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...