Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Mediterranean Rice Pudding


So, it's winter and it's more than natural that we tend to crave hearty, homey, comforting foods. When I think of all those things, rice pudding is almost one of the first desserts that comes to mind. It always reminds me of my Grandma (who used to make this dessert for me when I was a little girl) and in this sense, it brings a sense of comfort to me in a way that few other sweet treats do. However, since my Grandma died when I was still very young and since she had very few written recipes for the delectable things she cooked and baked (she always eye-balled things when cooking :)), I didn't have her exact recipe to go by. I was determined, though, to get it down right by trial and error. It took me three or four tries and a good deal of experimentation to get to a rice pudding I could really call my own- and that reminds me of my Grandma's rice pudding too. To give homage to my Balkan/Mediterranean origins, I added ingredients that are not traditionally found in rice pudding here, but add wonderful flavor notes of citrus. The end result is a creamy, decadent dessert that is as easy to make as it is hard to resist.


          Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup half-n-half 
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • zest of half an orange
  • eggs, beaten  
  • 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

    Directions:
    Bring rice and water to a boil, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.

    Once rice is cooked, add milk, sugar, salt, lemon zest, and orange zest. Cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently.

    In a mixing bowl, combine beaten eggs and half-n-half.
    Add 1/2 cup of the hot rice mixture to the eggs and stir. Repeat a couple more times. This ensures that the eggs do not scramble once you add them to the hot rice.

    Stir in the tempered egg mixture, raisins (if using) and ground cinnamon to the saucepan with the rice. Cook 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and lemon juice.


    Recipe adapted from: allrecipes.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Print recipe

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...